October 3, 2011

Hello Familia
 
Conference really was great!  especially as a missionary.  It almost seemed more influential and that i was being spoken to more directly more often.  We had one investigator watch most of the sessions but the other ones didn't show up.  We also had a less active come to one of the sessions who hasn't been to church for a long time!  so that was good too.  That is crazy that they are building another temple in Provo.  The audible gasp through the entire audience speaks for the surprise that that is.  If I remember correctly, the Provo tabernacle wasn't that big of a building was it?  It seems like it will be a pretty small temple.  But nonetheless, two temples in one city is definitely proof of the moving forward of this marvelous work.  I was really greatful when Elder Holland was speaking in Priesthood Session to be able to say that my family is a family that serves missions.  There were a lot of powerful talks and a lot of things that i learned.  You had told me already about Brother Richardson speaking so i wasn't surprised.  He really did do an excellent job of speaking.  I guess i didn't realize that he was the second counselor in the sunday school presidency.  Conference does bring back good memories.  I'm not sure how old i was when i sang in the choir, but i was singing the highest part that was available so not too old.
 
I'm glad that you got my letter quickly!  Next transfers are on November 3rd so i'll be at that address at least until then.  Congratulations to Rachael and Dave! That is super exciting. You will definitely have to keep me updated on the progress of how that goes.  That is one thing i miss is being able to play with babies.  It's hard when we go over to families houses and things to not pick them up or anything because it's technically against the rules.  That is also cool that you got to see Dave for a little bit.  How did his ring end up at the bottom of the ocean?  There is one member here, Kaiden Billings, who is going to Utah State after he graduates from high school this year to enter the aerospace engineering program.  He is also captain of the football team right now so he keeps me updated on how Utah State is doing.  They sound like they are at least able to keep up with the better teams and now they just have to beat them. 
 
I am eating well and haven't been feeling sick at all either so that's good.  We get fed by the members at least 5-6-7 nights a week and sometimes lunch appointments too.  I haven't had anything too unusual to eat yet either.  We did have a jerky chilli one night which was pretty interesting.  It wasn't the greatest, but it would have been if you really like beef jerky.  We also had a fresh apple pie with the apples we helped a lady in the ward pick that night too and that was delicious.  The budget is pretty easy to stay in.  I haven't ever been hard pressed for money yet.  My shoes are working out great.  No complaints there.  I've been wearing the Dockers ones and i'm kind of saving my Echos for later in the mission or for dressier occasions when the Dockers start to wear out more.  Today my goal is to find a good winter coat to buy.  The weather is slowly getting cooler and we have extra time today.  This next week it's supposed to get back up to the low 80's though so if that happens that would be really enjoyable.
 
In thinking what kind of spiritual thought to share today, a lot of options come to mind.  We had zone conference this last week and were taught by my mission president and his wife and other leaders around us.  But, with general conference just being broadcasted, i'll quickly share one of my favorite talks.  You'll probably end up going around at an FHE or something and sharing all of yours so i thought i would still add my input.  I think the very first talk on Saturday Morning by Richard G. Scott was one of my favorites.  He told us to make the scriptures our friend.  When i think of a friend i think of someone who helps me uphold my standards, comforts me, i can trust, is always their, we have good times together, etc.  All of these attributes can also be applied to the scriptures.  However the scriptures are never blocked off from us by either geography or calendar is how he said it.  No matter where you go or what time it is, you may not always be able to talk to a friend here on earth, but you can always read from the scriptures.  One of my goals since being out here has been to try and memorize more scriptures.  Elder Scott said that when me memorize scriptures it's like forging a new friendship.  We get to know them better and add new meaning to reading.
 
In my normal studies this past week i have been reading now in Helaman.  In chapter 3:29-30 it reads
 
"Yea, we see that whosoever will may lay hold upon the word of God, which is quick and powerful, which shall divide asunder all the cunning and the snares and the wiles of the devil, and lead the man of Christ in a strait and narrow course across that everlasting gulf of misery which is prepared to engulf the wicked --
 
"And land their souls, yea, their immortal souls, at the right hand of god in the kingdom of heaven, to sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and with Jacob, and with all our holy fathers, to go no more out."
 
The scriptures truly are important.  It never ceases to amaze me how the Lord always knows what we need to hear and connects our studies or ideas with it seems everything around us.  I know that if we lay hold upon the word of God and do the things that it tells us to do we will be much happier in our lives.  We can either live the gospel hard and our lives easy or live the gospel easy and our lives hard.  I know that this is the true church of Jesus Christ here on the earth today and that if we continually read the scriptures and make them our friend they will never let us down in times of need.
 
Love, Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment