August 2, 2011

Well week 2 was probably better than week 1.  This week has gone by really fast... and i've been learning so much.  Along with a mattress cover and some thermals, can you send me like 3-4 more T shirts?  I wear them more than i thought i would and so it would be nice to have more fresh ones.  I'm glad that high adventure went good and that all but one summited... was that one person dad?  how were the mosquitos? probably starving without me there to feed on.  That sounds like some good fishing too! it's always fun when you are actually catching stuff.  I pretty much do know my way around the campus here now and am learning some tricks of the trade which is making things go more smoothly.  I'm also glad that you are getting more excited to go on your mission!  they have brought in this new program that they are teaching us more than just teaching us discussions.  There are now 7 fundamentals that we are learning how to do and then we base our discussions off of those.  Every day in class we go over one and then practice it on eachother.  I also have 5 legitimate progressing "investigators."  3 of them are my teachers and 2 of them are over in a teaching resource building where we go and teach them twice a week.  it's really cool to actually have progressing people that we have to plan what to teach and commit them to baptism.  We were watching a video the other day called the district, and it showed some missionaries who had just gone out and the night they got there the mission president had them place a book of mormon.  it really made me feel like my mission is still surreal.  it will probably be a lot more intimidating once i'm actually out in the field though.  No i haven't brought in any new missionaries, and as far as i know i'm not doing it tomorrow either.  that would be fun though.  On sunday in priesthood meeting, me and my companion gave a lesson on language and it went over pretty well.  Later that same meeting the branch president taught and i thought i would share some of what he said.  In D&C 109:22 (the dedicatory prayer for the kirtland temple) it talks about having angels having charge over us.  Then in D&C 84:42 it talks about that as well as long as we honor the priesthood.  The interesting point that he brought about from all this is that if we have kept our covenants, parents can petition God to have angels watch over their children. it's a promised blessing that we have to do that and so we can ask for that.  So mom and dad pray for angels to have charge over me and to protect me spiritually and physically.  Also whoever you forward this to, pray for your children with the same promises and blessings.  Also on the sunday devotional, we learned a lot about having charity.  and giving out love and it never runs out.  Just like Heavenly Father's love is never ending.  I know that Heavenly Father loves all of His children and that he answers prayers.  Lately I have been praying to have an experience where i have felt where my words were directed from the spirit in case i ever have to give a priesthood blessing or something.  Then last night my companion right in the middle of companion study asked me to go into a different room and to have a prayer.  I said it and i really felt like the spirit was telling me what to say. I don't know if i even helped my companion, but i know my prayers were answered.  This gospel is amazing and i'm so glad i get to go teach it to the people in Iowa.  I'm specifically greatful for my patriarchal blessing and the comfort it brings to me.  I know that serving a mission is the right thing to do.  I know it is blessing my life and i hope that you can feel it blessing your lives as well.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
 
Also mom, can you chew out my friends for not writing me?  Especially Clayton, i want to keep getting him excited for serving a mission and i have specific things i want to share with him.  Thank you and i love you all!!
 
Love, Elder Brent Lehi Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment