April 29, 2013

Dear Family,

Hola. It has indeed been an eventful week. And a good week as well. My new area that I am serving in is Fort Dodge, IA. It is in the north west corner of the mission essentially. My new companion is Elder Horkley. He is from Washington. He has been out for 3 months and he is a great elder. We are already having fun together. We also have 2 sister missionaries in our ward who we share the car with. Church on Sunday was really nice. We do have a smaller ward... about 100 people on average is what I hear. That means that everyone is really close to each other. They are pretty spread out through the area though and not a whole lot of them live in Fort Dodge itself. Every 4th Sunday they do a pot luck after church though so that was really nice to be able to meet and greet the members and eat with them as well. They are all really good cooks! It was nice too because we don't really have any food at the apartment. I've been living off a Little Caesers pizza for the weekend and some macaroni and cheese so i'm excited to go grocery shopping today. The choir sang in sacrament meeting and I sang with them. It was a really easy arrangement so it was no big deal. they sang Joseph Smith's first prayer to the tune of Jesus lover of my soul. Elder Horkley is also musical and has a really great tenor voice.

My Birthday was just another day. We had district meeting that day out in Mason City. It is a 2 hour drive to get there and another 2 to come back so our whole day was pretty much district meeting. We did still manage to pick up a new investigator that day and visit a less active though. The less active had some leftover cake from his birthday which was on thursday so i had that as my celebration. I'm really excited to be able to Skype on Mother's Day!!! We are locking down where we are going to go so i'll let you know the details next week. We have church from 10 to 1 and meetings in the morning so it will most likely be in the mid afternoon sometime. The e-mail time hasn't changed. We are still allotted the one hour and fifteen minutes. What has changed is that we are now allowed to e-mail more than our family. We can e-mail our friends and recent converts and such.

That is good news to hear back from BYU-I about the track schedule. I'll be doing some thinking about the winter semester of school as well. Right now it sounds like something I would want to do. i'll also contact President Jergensen so I can get permission to take time to do what i need to to sign up for classes and what not. All i've heard about housing from everyone is NOT to stay in the dorms. Is there a deadline as to when i would have to make the final decision on who to live with? I haven't heard from Zach in a couple of weeks, but as of right now i would like to stay with him at least for my first Fall semester there. If it's not really working out after that then i'll reconsider. I'm bound and determined to get good grades though.

I got Rachael's video and i really liked it! It makes me miss all of my nieces and nephews even more! This Saturday is our mission conference in Iowa City. It will be an early morning for us. We need to be there by around 8 30 in the morning and it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive to get there from here. Plus we have to go to Boone to pick up another set of elders which isn't exactly on the way there. I just hope i'm not the one driving back. I'm really excited to be able to sit down and hear personally from an apostle of the Lord though. We were out doing some finding yesterday and we saw a couple sitting on their porch with a baby. I turned to E Horkley and said lets go talk to them. As we were crossing the street he said hello brother brower. It turns out they were members. They invited us to dinner and we made a trade that i would grill the hotdogs so he could drive us home afterwards.

We just had 2 baptisms in the ward in the last part of April. This ward hadn't had any baptisms prior to those 2 in over a year. We are also having one more on May 10th in our ward. A man named Dinastasias... but he goes by Dragon. He is 6'8" and 19 years old. He is a really cool guy. I got to meet him at church on Sunday. I know that this church is true and it can bless the lives of everyone. We need to not look upon people's stature or physical appearance, but on their hearts. When we do this we will see them as God sees them... in white clothing. When they feel of your love, they will want to learn more. That is one thing I have learned on my mission. thank you for all that you do! Especially you mom and dad! Wade and Brittany I got your package.. thank you! That is a stellar tie. I wore it to transfer meetings. Until next week

Love, Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment