July 16, 2012

Hello Family!

Tell me something good.  President Jergensen gave a brief training at interviews a couple of weeks ago about this man who would go to a hospital and greet everyone by saying "tell me something good" instead of "How are you doing?" to the sick patients and so we are trying to incorporate that as a mission as well.  The heat is still beating down on us.  Luckily for us we do have air conditioning though.  The only downside to that is where we live it is with a bunch of Indian people and all of their curry smell and such get into the system and it makes our apartment smell like curry the whole time we are there.  I'm pretty sure we are the only white people in our building... it's easy to tell when you look at the mailbox. :)  They are very nice though and they like to play ping pong with me.  Currently we are in a drought here in Iowa... haven't had much rain at all this year.  So the corn is growing, but it's actually turning pretty brown along with most everyones lawns.  We keep praying for rain for the farmers sake if nothing else.  It's not quite corn eating season though, but i'm excited for it to get here because i remember how good it tasted last year when I was eating it.  Indeed it is quite a monumental week i suppose you could say with my one year mark being on Friday.  The time has definitely gone by so fast.  It's crazy to think back on what i've done and where i've been.  I have been taking time to reflect and improve as I continue to go forward.

This last week we spent the bulk of the week over in Geneseo.  Elder Smith got transferred and went down to Kirksville Missouri so we stayed in Geneseo so he could pack and say goodbye to the members and such.  On Thursday then we drove to Iowa City for transfer meeting.  It was a small transfer meeting.  Maybe 1/3 of how many missionaries are usually there.  But with only 5 new missionaries coming out there weren't too too many changes in the mission.  We did get a new zone leader this week.  It's kind of funny because he was serving in the Davenport 2nd ward when I first got here and he was my district leader and now he is back into the Davenport 1st ward to be our zone leader.  It's good to see him again he is a good elder.  It was also a different feeling being at a transfer meeting and not having the mystery of not knowing where you are going or who your new companion is going to be.  On the way back from Iowa City we stopped at the Iowa 80 which is the biggest truck stop in the world!  I got a picture, but look for it next week because i forgot my camera today.  It is really huge plus they were having their truck show thingy going on right now so we got to see a lot of colorfully painted semis and such.  Today for P Day we are going golfing again.  This time it's not free though.  However the place where we are going is only 22 dollars for 18 holes plus the cart and i've been saving this month so we could go.  We are going with a recent convert in the ward and also a young man.  Should be a scorcher again today so i'll have to drink lots of water.

We were driving around town the other day with nowhere specific to go really and I recieved an impression that we should go see Sis Rose.  She is a less-active in our ward who we had previously been trying for months and could not catch at home no matter what time we went.  She was on the other side of town, but we decided to go anyway.  When we drove up to her house she was outside with her friends having them move a couch into her garage.  So we were able to help with some lifting, and also we were finally able to have a lesson with her and schedule a return appointment for this upcoming wednesday morning.  I was so thankful to be in tune with the spirit to know that at that exact time, we needed to go there.   I am also grateful that I did not hesitate on the prompting, because who knows what would have happened if we did.  We were able to answer a question she had had pressing on her mind for the longest time and I know we can work with her to get her attending church again.  Another neat experience from this last week was when we went golfing last time, I had lost my name tag.  I looked for it all through the golf bag i had used, and even the other golf bags and called the course and they hadn't found it and i was praying that I could find it.  Then last night we went to pick up clubs again from our WML so we could use them for today and I looked in the place that I remember putting my tag and there it was.  I swear I looked there before for it and didn't find it.  It was not a coincidence, but rather an answer to prayer i'm sure of it.  It reminds me that if something is really important to us, it also becomes important to our Heavenly Father and he will help us with our righteous desires.

Love, Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment