May 29, 2012

Hello Family!!

This week is going good. On monday our ward had a memorial day picnic barbeque activity that we went to. We had a lot of less actives show up and even a couple of non members. Really good turn out. We also played some soccer and football and bocci ball. My face is pretty sun burned but not too bad for being out in the sun for so long. I'm also working up a pretty good farmers tan from walking around outside so much. It's been really hot this last week. At the end of last week it was up in the mid 90's and with the humidity I was going through 2-3 shirts a day. Now it's back to about 80 and breezy and feels really good. Other than that we are kind of just making the rounds to all of the members so that Elder Ashton can say goodbye before he leaves to go home on Thursday. And on Thursday we are going to Iowa City for transfer meetings. This next transfer I will be staying as District Leader here in Rock Island/Moline and I will also be (drum roll please) training a greenie! I'm pretty excited.

President Jergensen had told me earlier that if I wanted to train, we would have to pick up some new investigators. Miraculously when I get my newbie, between Friday and Sunday we have 4 appointments set up with new investigators. So he will get practice right off the bat with teaching the first lesson. I remember I didn't teach the first lesson (outside of companionship study) until my second area about 4 months in. As for the rest of the district, we will be getting one new sister and everyone else is staying which i'm pretty excited about because our district is awesome.

I most likely won't be helping out with the pageant at all this year. With me training that pretty much guarantees i'll be here for another 3 months which wraps up the summer. We are about 2 hours away from Nauvoo right now, but maybe they'll bring us in for some reason. Last week while Elder Ashton was at his going home temple trip I spent the day in Iowa city with Elder Tall. It was pretty fun. We did a lot of service. We served lunch at an old people home and then dug out a garden for a really nice lady who fed us dinner. It was a lot of driving that day too.

In our ward lately they have been focusing on seminary the last couple of weeks because we had quite a few youth graduate this year. It just makes me thankful that one, i didn't have to take early morning seminary and two, for all the good things I learned during those four years. They are throwing a little party for all the graduates on Saturday that we'll probably stop in for a little bit to tell them our congratulations.

One thing that was said in District meeting this last week that i really enjoyed was about hope. In Preach my Gospel chapter 6 which is about all of the Christlike attributes it says this: When you have hope, you work through trials and difficulties with the confidence and assurance that all things will work together for your good. In the world, people associate hope with a certain sense of uncertaintly. Like i hope it doesn't rain today or i hope that the Oklahoma City Thunder win the NBA championship this year. But in the gospel when we have hope, we have confidence and assurance. It brings new meaning to the popular scripture of Alma 32:21 which says: And now as i said concerning faith. Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen which are true. That hope for things not seen yet true leaves no uncertainty. We have an assurance of things. Specifically with the atonement. We have to have a certain amount of hope and faith to know that it will work. And I testify to you that it does! This church is true. Until next week,

Love, Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment