May 14, 2012

Hey family! 
 
This week has been superb.  It was so good to talk to you mom and dad.  it really gives you an extra spark to keep going strong.  We had a good mothers day.  Church was swell.  This last week we did a service project for a part member family.  We helped put siding up on his house for a couple three hours.  It was a learning experience, but it was pretty easy.  We also helped pick up his lawn.  He had this trash can back underneath a tree in the back of his backyard that smelled terrible!  I have no idea what it was full of but then water got in it and it was just a mess.  The mosquitos are coming out more and more now here as well.  And i've learned from our King's peak hike that those little buggers really like my blood. I have a couple of bites right now.  You are still beating me though mom.
 
The district is doing good.  We went on exchanges with our zone leaders this last week.  Elder Larson and i went to a more ghetto part of the area and picked up a couple of potentials.  We have meetings set up to go teach Karibah, Shavandah, and Sherita and Johnny.  This random lady also pulled over and walked up to us and gave us 20 bucks for lunch the next day.  When she first stopped the car and got out I thought she just wanted to talk with us or something, but she just gave us the money and left.  She did have a WWJD lanyard around her neck.  That was a definite up for the week. One down is that a less active family we were just starting to meet with told us not to come over anymore and that they were going to start searching out other churches :(  We had a giant luau (is that how you spell that?) at the church last weekend.  We had about 300 people come from all the surrounding area.  About 80 people weren't members.  We dug a hole and even roasted a pig in it.  It was super good! 
 
I kind of started a district emphasis in my district focusing around the christlike attributes which is chapter 6 in PMG.  We've all been studying that chapter for at least an hour through each week.  We have also had trainings in district meetings on the different attributes.  In PMG in the introduction to that chapter is says something to the effect of some chapters tell us what to do like how to teach and how to plan and such but by studying these attributes this work becomes more than just what we do, it becomes who we are.  And as we strive to master these attributes, we gain more self control over the natural man, and we become more like Jesus Christ, see more success, and a whole lot of other benefits.
 
This last week I gave a training on Charity and love.  I showed a short clip off the movie "Special witnesses of Christ."  It's a video that has all the apostles and the prophet bear testimony about different aspects of the Savior and such.  Elder David B. Haight is in the video and he said this about love: I don't have the quote on me (i thought i did) but he said that when he was called to be an apostle by President Kimball he knew that the lesson he was being taught was that the love that the savior showed and hopes that we will achieve is necessary in order to teach the gospel properly.  And as we go out into the world and bear our testimonies of Christ it will be the love that attracts people.  I have a testimony that a love for the people is needed in order to teach the gospel properly.  That is why when members refer people for us to teach and they let us teach them in their home, the love is greater.  I'm so greatful for the advice that my dad gave me before i left for my mission of starting to pray for a love of the people even before I got out here. I have noticed the help that has come from that and i can truly say i love the midwestern people.  I also love Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father and I know that they live and love us as well.

Love, Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment