November 5, 2012

Hello hello family,
 
It has been a great week this week as usual.  Of course, every week is great if you choose to make it that way.  We taught two lessons this week in French.  Those lessons are always fun for me and really spiritual.  We have found more french speaking members in the quad cities who are willing to come and help us.  I know what you mean when you say you have to factor in the time that it takes to translate.  My favorite part is at the end when we ask them to pray, although we don't know what they are saying, we feel the spirit.  The gospel is true no matter what language it is in.  With Saliboko he sometimes prays in Swahili so that his wife understands and then even our translator doesn't know what he is saying, we just recognize Yesu Kristo Amen and say amen.  We had our first lesson with Simeon and Prince who came to church last week.  They had really good questions and they are so ready for this gospel.  We will be going back on Saturday and trying to set a baptismal date for the 15th of December.  Simeon came to church again this week (Prince was at the hospital with his sister) and he got along really well with Saliboko.  It is good for them to have a friend at church.  I don't know what they talk about or anything, but they love coming to church and are dedicated to come every week.  And the members are dedicated to picking them up every week which is good as well.  In total our ward had 14 investigators at church on Sunday! 9 of them were ours and 5 were the Rock Island elders.  We had a great testimony meeting and even went over on time about 20 minutes because people were non stop bearing there testimonies.  I got up and bore mine because I knew it would probably be the last chance I got before the transfer is over.  We get calls this Saturday to know for sure who is getting transfered.  I'm pretty certain that I will be leaving though after spending 9 months here and just finishing training.
 
I am so happy to hear that every thing went well with Braden entering the MTC.  I wish I could have been there for that, but I wouldn't trade what i'm doing right now for anything in the world.  It truly is the happiest i've been in my life.  I wish you the best (if you are reading this) on these next two years buddy.  The time goes by too fast.  We had a movie night on Friday night where we showed the Joseph Smith:Prophet of the Restoration video in our gym at the church.  It's the same one they play at the memorial building.  We had a pretty good turnout.  About 25 people came to watch the movie.  6 of them were missionaries... but we had i think 5 non members in attendance.  We were hoping to have around 50 people show up.  We spread the word like crazy and gave out flyers about 2 weeks in advance and were committing everybody to come.  We also had cookies and brownies and cupcakes afterwards and we had a LOT of extras that we got to take home.  We've also gotten a lot of candy from various people for Halloween so my sweet tooth is fully satisfied.  I also got your package Grandma Joan and Grandpa Pete.  Thank you so much!  The cookies are delicious (my favorite).  I will also save that golf ball to play when we get back... even if it has the BYU insignia on it.
 
I do remember that brown paper bag game.  That was a fun game.  For Halloween we were in by 6 and my companion and I played some games together in our apartment.  Then the Luthy family picked us up and we went to their home for a little while and taught them a lesson.  Kind of a not-so-exciting day.  We did attend a trunk or treat that the Methodist church invited us to.  We do service at the food pantry that is in the church so they invited us to their dealio.  We mostly went because they were cooking hotdogs for everybody and we didn't have a dinner appointment.  It was funny because we were in our suits with our tags on and then i just put some sunglasses on so they thought we had dressed up as the FBI or something like that and we got a lot of compliments on our costumes.  We met the head pastor that night, I had only ever met his wife before who is the associate pastor, and he was very nice and glad that we came.  Carrie is still doing great.  It is actually the home teachers duty here to teach the new member lessons.  However we are teaching her son Trever so we get to teach her the lessons again through her son.  We set a baptismal date with him for Jan 19.  We only get to teach him every other weekend because he is with his dad every other week.  He also has ADHD which makes us have to think of how we can make the lessons exciting and hold the attention of an 11 year old for more than 5 minutes :)
I know that this church is true with all of my heart!  Love you all,
 
Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment